Sunday, August 19, 2012

Beef and Broccoli

I didn't get any photos of this one, but it's just as well. The whole thing was a major disappointment. I had the beef sliced and sauce pre-made and thrown into the freezer, so when the time came, all I had to do was throw it in the crock pot. At this point, I was thinking I was on to something really good!

As the beef cooked, it smelled incredible. I was getting really excited for dinner! However, once I added the broccoli and let it finish cooking, it didn't taste nearly as good as it had smelled earlier. 

Unfortunately, I had pre-assembled this one twice, so we'll have to have it again. Next time I'm going to steam the broccoli separately and then just pour the beef and sauce over it instead of cooking it together. I don't know if that will help or not, but I will let you know!

Crock Pot Beef and Broccoli
Ingredients
1 pound boneless beef chuck roast, sliced into thin strips
1 cup beef consumme
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons sauce from the crock pot after being cooked
Fresh broccoli florets (as many as desired)
Hot cooked rice

Directions
1. Place beef in a crock pot.
2. In a small bowl, combine consomme, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil, and garlic. Pour over beef. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
3. In a cup, stir cornstarch and sauce form the crock pot until smooth. Add to crock pot. Stir well to combine.
4. Add broccoli to the crock pot. Stir to combine.
5. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes on high (the sauce has to boil for it to thicken).
6. Serve over hot cooked rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment